More Options

Dual Enrollment

Download the Student Dual Enrollment Checklist

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment means a high school student is taking a college class that will be used for both high school credit and college credit. 

Q: Am I eligible for Dual Enrollment?

To be eligible to enroll in dual enrollment, you must:

  •  Meet the placement testing requirements (SAT, ACT, or COMPASS)
  • Have a 3.0 GPA in completed high school courses to take academic courses
  • Have a 2.5 GPA in completed high school courses to take technical courses
  • Have approval from the principal and local superintendent of education
  • Must be in grade 10, 11, or 12 at time of taking dual enrollment course

Q: What courses can I take as Dual Enrollment?

A variety of courses in career technical and academic transfer programs are available through dual enrollment agreements between the high schools and colleges. Courses numbered below 100 are not available for dual credit. Consult your high school counselor for details.

Q: Does the Dual Enrollment grade count on my high school and college transcript?

Yes, the grades are listed on your high school transcript and counts toward high school graduation requirements. The grades are also listed on your ESCC/AAC transcript when you graduate from high school or earn a GED. The grades are permanent college grades and part of your permanent transcript.

Q: When can I take the class?

You can work the class into your high school schedule, with approval from the high school. Students may take courses during the day, evening, online or during the school year, or in the summer.

Q: Will my classes transfer?

It depends on the classes that you take. Academic transfer courses will transfer to most four year colleges or universities in the US, but career technical courses are not designed for transfer. To ensure classes transfer register, with STARS (State-wide Transfer Articulation System). STARS provides information on courses that transfer from Enterprise State to Alabama's public four year institutions. For more information on STARS and transfer credit in Alabama, consult the STARS website, If you plan on attending a college or university outside Alabama, you should contact the institution for specific transfer information.

Q: What if I want to start in a technical career track?

While in high school, students can get a jump start in a technical career program through dual enrollment/dual credit. These courses can lead to an Associate in Applied Science degree or certificate and can help with early opportunities for employment in today's technically demanding workforce. Career Technical programs are an important area offered to high school students.

Q: Is Dual Enrollment right for me?

Students should understand that they are registering for college courses for college credit. The grades in these courses will become a part of the student's permanent college record. It is important that students do well in their first college courses so they begin their college career with success.

Q: Where do I start?

Talk to your high school counselor and parent(s) about the program. Ask yourself the following questions: Am I ready for a college class? What class do I want to take? Are there any prerequisites for the classes?

Q: Have more questions?

If you'd like more information on these programs, please contact your school counselor.