An Ongoing Professional Learning Opportunity for Leaders:
Principals, Assistant Principals and Central Office Administrators
Jefferson County School System believes the key to dynamic, successful schools is leadership. The District is committed to providing a systematic and ongoing training for school leaders that will develop their skills for leading schools today and tomorrow. A five-tiered approach will provide professional learning in the following areas:
- foundational management skills,
- personal traits for effective leading,
- instructional leadership practices for improved student and adult learning,
- managing a culture of change
- accessing and maximizing community involvement and resources
Tier One – Professional Learning Community (APPLC)
Objective: To provide an opportunity for continual growth of current assistant principals and central office administrators. Meetings held monthly; part of each session will be a book study
- Participants will become more knowledgeable of the traits that are necessary to be effective, successful principals
- Participants will engage in practical activities that have immediate transfer to their school situations
- Participants will share best practices through networking with colleagues
Tier Two – Leadership Professional Learning Community
Objective: To provide an opportunity for continual growth with a focus on instruction and school improvement planning. Monthly meetings for grads of Tier I and any principal interested
- Part of the session each month will be a study of the book FOCUS by Mike Schmoker.
- Participants will gain a deeper understanding of the instructional role of a school leader that includes monitoring instructional practices, data analysis, standards based professional development, quality teaching practices, and building leadership capacity within the school that results in improved student learning.
- Participants will share best practices through networking with colleagues.
Tier Three – Leadership Professional Learning Community
Objective: To provide an opportunity for continual growth with a focus on leadership best practices. Four full day meetings (7:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.) that will include opportunities to network and learn from the corporate setting, visits to outstanding schools, and work with colleagues on a team project. The content of the sessions will be Diversity, Climate/Culture, Curriculum Development and Monitoring, and Strategic Planning.
- Participants will gain a deeper understanding of the complex role of leading a school community in a global society
- Participants will develop a network that includes leaders from the corporate sector and educational community
Tier Four – Continual Growth for Leaders with Focus on Best Practices
- Participants will gain a deeper understanding of leading a professional learning community through district school visits and will travel to and tour the State Department of Education
- Participants will develop and implement core elements of a PLC
Tier Five – First Year Principal Mentoring Provided by Tier IV Graduates
- Participants will benefit from the advice of a professional learning community forged through shared Academy experiences and discussion, as well as from years of experience in a school leadership position